Monday, June 15, 1998

15/06/98 - Juanitas. Little Rock, Ark.


The good news is I don't have a hang over. The bad news is I'm still in Clinton country. I watched a
UK TV documentary called 'Gang banging in Little Rock' once about how fucked
up Clinton country is, likening it to Washington DC. Nice.

Juanitas is a cafe/restaurant/bar gig. There are 'normal' people drinking
their margaritas on this'Margarita Monday' as we sound check. There stare at us blank faced as we
blast through our digital punk rock faggot noise music. The best description I've heard from a
'normal' person about what kind of music Pitchshifter was: 'soulless white garbage'.
Thank you one and all.

The gig rolls by really fast. Half the crowd stay seated by the restaurant
tables and chairs and the other half fill the floor. I ask the seated half how the fish is, but I
don't think anybody got it. Of the dancing half, the front two rows is made up almost entirely of girls
gyrating with their hands above their heads. They must think we're Gravity Kills. We don't usually get
much gyrating. Don't get me wrong, I like it. If you want to gyrate away at one of our gigs don't
let me stop you, it's just that we usually just get a lot of 'pogo-ing'.

After show we hook up with some lovely ladies we met in Hot Springs. They
have a big car, they have long hair, they have to be at work by 7.30am.

"I went to work drunk one day and I lost $5000."
"What?"
"I work in a bank. I made a mistake in counting and lost $5000 somewhere. I found it again later,
but I was really worried for a while."
One of them looks like Posh Spice. We tell her, she is not amused. I see how far I can take it,
" . . . and you look a little like Sporty Spice."
"I don't wanna be Sporty Spice."
"Why not?"
"She's got fucked up teeth."

We wave goodbye to the lovely ladies from Arkansas and head off back off on the road to freedom.
The bad news is we have ANOTHER day off . . .

"And why did the band split up Jon? Over exhausting schedule? Extended
periods away from home? Inter band friction? Drug habits?"
"No actually is was the days off. We just couldn't handle the days off man, it was horrible."

No comments:

Post a Comment