Tuesday, July 14, 1998

14/07/98 - Troubadour. Los Angeles, CA.

Last night, just before bed time. I saw a vision of gothicness. Suzie Sue from Suzie and the Banshees was in the hotel lobby room. I guess she's on tour with The Creatures. Weird to see old alternative Icons from England's past swanning around in the lobby of gay hotels in Hollyweird. Today is a press day combined with a gig. Can it be real? An actual gig. No day off. I love it. I get the call from the management who've flown over from London to LA for the show:

"Jon, this is the most important gig the band will ever play. You guys have to show the record company how good you really are tonight. It could be make or break. I don't want you guys to feel any pressure but you just need to play the best you've ever played in your lives."

I don't feel pressurised. Would you? The last 'this has to be the best gig you've ever played' was to get signed. I wonder how many other 'best gig you've ever played' gigs we'll have to do? Is there a limit? Who judges what 'the best' is? It's kind of oxymoronic. Like giving a lifetime achievement award to someone who's still alive.

The gig is good. I don't know if it's the best gig that we've ever done, but it was good. Although this might sound really arrogant, I think that we have really good gigs nearly every night. We all love to play, we all know the songs, we've been playing them solidly for months. Why would we not have a good gig most nights? The management are happy and the label people seem happy and so all is well in LA.

After the show Tairre B and the boys from Tura Satana show up. Tairre gives me a video from our tour around Europe earlier in the year. It's a lot of footage of the two bands interspersed with footage of Tairre and I. I don't remember doing half of the stuff on there but when you watch it back it's really funny. And for the record y'all . . . I didn't get ill in Europe by making out with Tairre B. I'm sick of hearing that rumour. We didn't make out at all. We were just friends and we had a good laugh. Underneath all that media hype bullshit of being the scariest woman in rock she's just a cuddly teddy bear, but I guess I shouldn't say that because it'll ruin her image. oops
.

No comments:

Post a Comment