Friday, July 24, 1998

24/07/98 - Ground Zero. Minneapolis, MN.

In the cab on the way from the hotel to the venue the Jamaican cab driver keeps shouting about ribs: "Many ribs! No cover charge! Festival of ribs! Big stage! Many ribs!"

Whatever, just get me to the gig my friend. You can't shout about ribs all day weirdo.

Before the gig Jim and I do a video interview for some local boys. They set
us their lights and clip mics in the back of the bus and we talk about the
new LP. The interviewer is a very genuine man and it's a pleasure to be
asked some intelligent questions about the band and ourselves as people (a

point which many folks seem to forget - that we are actually autonomous
individuals as well as being band members). During the interview I take a
picture of the camera man (see pic). He doesn't know what to do. Poetic.

The gig is raging for about the first three songs. The crowd are digging us
and things are hotting up. Then my monitors fizzle, distort, cut out and
everything fucks up for me. I give up in the middle of one song. I just
can't hear what I'm doing. I don't think the crowd notice. I take a stage
dive instead. I figure it's all the same. If I sing or if I dive into the
crowd. As long as there's something to look at. It's not the house
engineer's fault. The monitors suck because the equipment sucks. At least he

is sitting by the desk and trying to make it work for us instead of sucking face with some girl. During the show there are a couple of gay guys waggling
their middle fingers in their mouths at me. Being boring and heterosexual I

don't know the specifics of the gesture but I figure it's overtly sexual and
it's directed at me. Sponge or stone? I guess I'd have to be stone boys,
sorry.

We try our best to salvage the gig but it's too late for us. We've lost the
flow tonight. We should just play our bit and get the fuck off stage so that
Gravity Kills can maybe save the day. The crowd genuinely cheer us as we
scuttle away. I guess they enjoyed it. The highlight for me personally was
leaning down and giving a condom to two girls locked in a kiss. Well, I
thought it was funny. No offence intended.

After the show we head to a local club for a good time. Denied. They're
playing some god awful house music and it's a real cattle market. Under the
guise of going to the toilet I manage to slip away from everyone else and
sneak back to the hotel room I've booked. I can't sleep on the damn dolphin
tonight. I need to stretch my legs out and sprawl around. There's only so
much Captain Ahab a man can take and I'm all bunked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment