Tuesday, July 28, 1998

28/07/98 - Safari Club. Des Moines, IA.

Injury day has become Injury Week. As we pull up to the Safari Club I am greeted by Doug from Gravity Kills. Two sentences into our conversation he tells me about Chris (Gravity Kills stage tech). Chris has damaged his back lifting the equipment, he can hardly walk properly. Chris is a nice guy. I feel bad for him. I hope he can finish the tour. Another winner for Injury week:

"Chris, do you stick with your damaged spine or gamble the lot for a much worse and potentialy fatal injury? . . . I'm going to have to hurry you Chris . . . injury week can't last forever!"

The gig is one of the hottest shows we have ever played. The place is rammed (although sadly I see no pith helmets) and there's no air conditioning. The only AC is coming from the two fans we have on stage to cool ourselves down. We die up there. We slash songs out of the set every other song. It's just too hot to play properly. During the show a kid pulls me down as I try to get back on stage after a stage dive. I get away from him but my hand starts to really hurt me. I guess I twisted it. We play hard and fast and exit through the crowd. Not bad for no sound check. I guess we still have the juice, major label or no change in our pockets.

After the show my hand starts to really hurt. Burning. It looks all fucked up. I remember what happened now. I got pulled onto one of the halogen stage lights standing on the floor. I stuck my hand into the light to save my face and now it's all burnt. There's a blister on the side of my hand and a section of my skin missing from the wrist. Very nice. Injury week strolls ever onward. To recap: the soundman has broken his big toe, Johnny has cracked his head, Chris has fucked his back and now I've singed my hand. Get a hold of George Cloony will ya?! It's an episode of ER. The Gravity Kills and Pitchshifter Emergency Room Show. Come one, come all, only ten American dollars to see the travelling hospital Freak Show. All ages welcome. Book early to avoid disappointment. Also available for children's parties. Very reasonable rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment